We get this question once in a while from smokers looking for options.  More specifically many smokers ask, “I smoke x brand of cigarettes, which e-liquid is best for me?”.  The answer is the same each time; taste is subjective, try one nicotine level and flavor and go from there.

We would like to be able to tell smokers that our tobacco flavored US made e-liquid tastes just like the brand of tobacco cigarettes they have smoked for the past few decades, but that would be unfair. The truth is that vapor and smoke, no matter how much they look and act like each other, are different. Smoke has a distinct smell and taste.  It is true that taste between brands can be altered by adding chemicals or changing the manufacturing process, but all cigarettes do have that distinct “smoke” taste.  Electronic cigarettes simply can not perfectly imitate that taste since there is no burning and no smoke.

What many smokers turned vapers find is that just like changing a brand of cigarette, vaping is an acquired taste.  Many even testify that they now prefer the taste of their electronic cigarette over any brand of tobacco cigarette.  And the great thing with e-cigarettes is that the options are almost countless.  There is a huge variety of brands, nicotine strengths, and flavors available in both prefilled cartridges and bottles of e-liquid.

So if you are looking for an electronic cigarette liquid that tastes like your old tobacco cigarettes, remember that you have many options.  Start with the most logical (tobacco or menthol) and move on from there.  There is bound to be a flavor and strength that suits your tastes; and don’t be shocked if your tastes change over time.

Tagged with →

10 Responses to Does Electronic Cigarette Vapor Taste Like Smoke?

1. Scott says:

Great post,

I have been hearing more and more lately about the banning of e-cigs in particular areas and it just makes me wonder WHY!? I mean if it works for people and your excluding the Tar, the Ash, and thousands of chemicals why not believe its a safer alternative for traditional smokers? I have smoked my appealing smoke starter kit for years and absolutely love it. I highly recommend anyone interested in e-cigs to just give it a try.

2. michael says:

I quit feb12,2011 using the E-cig with the generic patches from Target. First time in 30 years I have been smoke free. I don’t use the E -cig much anymore but still keep it for panic attack moments.

3. John says:

Great, honest article. Very useful for those who are inquiring about e-cigarettes as an alternative to tobacco. What is great though with ‘e-liquids’ is there are sooo many flavors you can try- from Black Tea to cola to kiwi!You just can’t get that variety with regular cigarettes. It’s just a really different experience in a way. A different kind of pleasure!

4. Cheryl says:

Like Michael, I used an e-cig to quit smoking. It was effective, but I started smoking again due to a stressful situation. I decided to use the e-cig to quit again, but unfortunately the one I purchased was made in and shipped directly from China so it just doesn’t charge at all anymore! LOL I stumbled across this site looking for a Made in the USA e-cig. :)

• joy says:

Cheryl, I saw the starfirecig.com site on youtube.com. These ecigs claim is that they are 100% made in america down to their cartomizers as well. I have not tried them yet as I have spent my monthly limit on my ecig supplies lol.

5. Gerarda says:

Cheers Scott, I already use 36mg liqiud (!) and LR atties The provari is about a3200 apparently. is there anything cheaper that allows 6v vaping? I’ve never tried 6v a bit concerned about thebatteries though, they look a bit dodgy. Thanks again for your reply much appreciated as always George

6. mike says:

Please dont buy e cigarette it totally sucksssssssssss. I bought joyetech ego-t it make excellent cloud but it dont taste like a real tabacco not even a 1%… I am highly disappointed… I invested around 80 € and I am feeling that I got ripped of … They suckssssss plz dont buy it

• Mike,

E-Cigarettes aren’t for everyone, however if it is a taste issue for you there are many, many flavors available on the market. The Joyetech eGo-T will take any e-liquid. You may not find one that tastes just like tobacco smoke but you may find one you like. You probably didn’t like the taste of your first cigarette either.

7. Douglas Jones says:

There are good points and bad points the good that i can see is if your in a club or casino where there is alcohol being served you can smoke in public and satisfy that erge and at the same time not be offensive to the people around you and not be inconvenience to yourself to have to go outside or to a designative area. I wonder if they will become illegal to bring on an airplane? I would love to see one with himp/marijuana. Then you would definitely have a money maker.

8. Rose says:

I have smoked for 40 years and I’ve quit here and there, I purchased the blu cig and have been smoking it for a couple weeks but kept going back for just one cig here and there. Realizing it will just be a matter of time before the right situation will arise where I will go back to smoking. Today I was struggling wanting a real cig, so went to a smoke shop. There was a very knowledgable young lady there that recommended buying a disposable ecig. She recommended many flavors, I shared with her how much I am craving a real cigarette, she suggested the tobacco flavored ecig. While it doesn’t taste like a real cig it is hitting the spot, at least for the moment! I think I’m going to like it! Encouraged!